When I was growing up, my grand parents used to have little chicks in the backyard of their lovely Alsatian farm, in France. You can imagine how happy I was, when the holiday time finally arrived and my mom announced I'll spend some time with my grand-parents "mémé et pépé" and "mamima et papipa".
Today I can celebrate something very special my grand-parents gave me. Something unique I have deep inside my heart and soul.
The deep deep love and respect of super-fresh, organic and local food. That's because I've seen them work hard in the garden and respect the soil from their farm. And most of all, I've had the amazing chance to eat almost everything fresh and homemade. My grandmas were such good cook...they could have worked with Paul Bocuse. Vraiment.
My all-time favorite are self-grown tomatoes and peas. We had such good time removing the pods from their peas with my lovely cousins.
But to be honest, living everyday like "Little House on the Prairie" is not my dream anymore. As a modern woman, mom and entrepreneur, I have only a limited time everyday to cook for my little tribe.
Over the years I developed recipes with fresh and local food that doesn't exceed half an hour.
This roasted chicken leg recipe is one of my favorite. The preparation time is about 25 minutes only. Then, while the legs are roasting in the oven, you can play with your toddlers or if you don't have kids, continue to work on your amazing biz. Super easy.
[RECIPE] Super speed roasted chicken legs with proscuitto, garlic and rosemary
Little roasted chicken legs with crispy prosciutto, rosemary and garlic infused olive oil
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 60 MINUTES
- 12 free-range small chicken legs
- 6 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 1 big garlic clove, crushed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices thin salted ham, like Proscuitto di Parma or Katenschinken, cut in half
- 12 pieces rosemary sprigs, 3 cm each (1,2 inches)
- cooking wire
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (410°F).
- In a small ramequin, combine olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Let infuse while you wash the legs.
- Quickly wash the chicken legs in a bath of cold water. Dry well with paper or a clean soft towel and remove remaining hairs. You'll be surprised of the color of the water. Always wash meat, and dry it well otherwise it won't roast, but boil.
- Cover the rounded part of the leg with half a sheet of ham, cover the ham with a piece of rosemary sprig. Fix it all together with cooking wire, then transfer to a large roasting pan. Be careful to use only high temperatures friendly wire, otherwise it will melt.
- Brush the chicken with the oil. Be sure to brush every part of the chicken + the rosemary so that it won't burn.
- Cook for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- For a mega speed version of this recipe, you can skip step 3 and 4. It will take you less than 10 minutes to prepare the legs.
Made with love and chicken ©Virginie Consort elleetgourmande.com
23 kitchen tools
Are you using the right kitchen tools?
Enter your name and email address to get instant access to the "23 Kitchen Tools I used to Master my Cooking Skills" PDF download (16 pages).