A simple, warm and comforting autumnal soup recipe with pumpkin, coconut milk and a hint of curry. A unique recipe brought to you by french foodpreneur Virginie.
Some weeks ago I bought my first big pumpkin at Trader Joe's in Manhattan Beach. I can't tell you how happy I was to see Musquée de Provence, or Muscade de Provence in french, a.k.a. Fairytale Pumpkin, on the shelves.
The people at TraderJoe's are so kind and helpful. While we were choosing a pumpkin, I told the guy I was doing a soup. He looked very surprised at me and said that here in the U.S., they use these kind of pumpkins only for Halloween decoration. Is this true ? Can anyone tell me more ?
What does a fairy tale pumpkin or muscade de provence look like?
Follow the pink arrow on the picture below!
A yummy squash recipe in 4 simple steps
There are 4 main steps to prepare a pumpkin soup :
1/ the prep phase, where you wash, rinse, cut and remove the skin of the pumpkin.
2/ the pre-cook phase, where you cook the vegetables and spices in oil and/or butter, to enhance their fragrances.
3/ the cooking phase, where the pumpkin is cooking in a broth, vegetable, chicken or beef.
4/ the mixing phase, where you mix everything in a blender for a thin texture, or a food processor for a thick texture.
[VIDEO] How to cut a BIG pumpkin, and make nice cubes in minutes
In this video, I'll show you how to easily cut your big pumpkin with a boning or fillet knife. The flexible blade of this knife makes it very easy to cut a pumpkin. Just for fun, try it with your Chef knife and see how it is difficult to cut.
Once you've cut the big pieces with your fillet knife, grab your Chef knife and peel the skin of the pumpkin, and cut 2 cm (3/4 inch) chunks.
23 kitchen tools
Are you using the right kitchen tools?
Enter your name and email address to get instant access to the "23 Kitchen Tools I used to Master my Cooking Skills" PDF download (16 pages).
Fairytale pumpkin soup with coconut milk and curry in 4 easy steps
A simple, warm and comforting autumn soup recipe with pumpkin, coconut milk and a hint of curry.
YIELD : 4 - 6 servings
PREP TIME : 15 min COOK TIME : 20-25 min
- 1,2 kg (2,6 pounds) Fairytail pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 10 g (1 tablespoon) butter
- 70 g (2,5 ounces) onion
- 2 g (1 teaspoon) curry powder
- 25 cl (1/2 cup) vegetable stock
- 100 g (1/2 cup) coconut milk
- 3 g (1 teaspoon) non refined sugar, white or brown
- Prepare the pumpkin : rinse with water, dry with paper, cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) chunks.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and stir frequently, about 2 minutes. Add the curry and stir for about 1 minute. Add the pumpkin cubes and stir frequently, until all the cubes are covered with the curried oil, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat until it starts to slightly boil, then decrease the heat to low, add the sugar, and cook for 25 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Mix in a blender
SEXY TIP n°1 : Freeze the cubes ! After step 1, place ready to cook pieces of pumpkin into a freezer-friendly bag or pot.
SEXY TIP n°2 : Don't add to much vegetable stock. The pumpkin cubes at the top of the pot should not be immersed completely; they're going to cook with the steam during the cooking phase.
SEXY TIP n°3 : Don't forget the sugar. Sugar neutralizes the acidity of the pumpkin and enhances the overall flavour.
SEXY TIP n°4 : Prepare step 1 up to three days in advance. For example, you could prep the pumpkin the Sunday, and cook the soup on Monday evening, it would decrease the total time of the recipe to the cook time only, about 20 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the pumpkin chunks.
Made with love and pumpkins ©Virginie Consort elleetgourmande.com
NEED MORE THAN JUST A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE AND A RECIPE ON A FOOD BLOG TO MASTER your Soup cooking skills?
The OLD way: cooking classes, cookbooks, Youtube + food blogs
The NEW way: the French cooking academy
Are you looking to:
- Eat healthy food every day?
- Recreate this special romantic dinner you enjoyed in Paris?
- Prepare delicious macarons, crème brûlée, onion soup or beef bourguignon with ease.
- Bring more passion to your dining with colors, flavors, wine, music, lightning and presentation?
- Learn the exact techniques top French chefs use?
- Impress your family and friends with a simple, yet luxurious 15-minute meal?
- Create magical French meals your loved ones will talk about for years?
- Be the woman who knows how to attract the one with a great meal?
- Have more connection time with your loved ones?
- Spend less money in restaurants and meal delivery services?
- Enjoy and have fun while preparing fancy meals?
- Live a French-style gourmet lifestyle?